Friday, April 9, 2010

The Temple Cornner Stones - The Apostleshiop, &c.
delivered in the tabernacle April 6, 1853, at the General Conference pg 131 - 137

"Were it not that our bodies have to be fed and clothed, I would propose that we tarry here a few months, to give all a chance to speak, to exhort, to pray, to prophesy, to sing, to speak in tongues, or to do whatsoever the Spirit should manifest unto them." pg 131
"The salvation we are seeking is for the present, and sought correctly, it can be obtained, and be continually enjoyed." pg 131
"If we are saved, we are happy, we are filled with light, glory, intelligence, and we pursue a course to enjoy the blessings that the Lord has in store for us." pg 131
"I am happy to say that there has been a great deal of faith manifested by the Saints, and, through that faith, the Lord has granted unto us the desire of our hearts, or else the devil has been sent on an errand another way, and has forgotten himself." pg 132
"I do not like to prophesy much, I never do, but I venture to guess, that this day , and the work we have performed on it, will long be remembered by this people... It is a day in which all the faithful will rejoice in all time to come. [speaking about the corner stones for the temple being laid]" pg 132
"I never have cared but for one thing, and that is, simply to know that I am now right before my Father in Heaven. If I am this moment, this day, doing the things God requires of my hands, and precisely where my Father in Heaven wants me to be, I care no more about to-morrow than though it never would come." pg 132
"This I do know - there should be a Temple built here. I do know it is the duty of this people to commence to build a Temple." pg 132
"I scarcely ever say much about revelations, or visions, but suffice it to say, five years ago last July I was here, and saw in the Spirit the Temple not ten feet from where we have laid the Chief Corner Stone." pg 133
"We sometimes look for light, you know, brethren. ...You will tell me you go to the east for light? So we commence by laying the stone on the south-east corner, because there is the most light." pg 133
"-Does a man's being a Prophet in this Church prove that he shall be the President of it? I answer no! A man may be a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, and it may have nothing to do with his being the President of the Church." pg 133
"The Keys of the Priesthood were committed to Joseph, to build up the Kingdom of God on the earth, and were not to be taken from him in time or in eternity..." pg 133
-visions and angel visits etc. don't make a person a President, Elder, or Priest
"If you ask me what will prove a man or woman to be a Saint, I will answer you the question. "If you love me," says Jesus, "You will keep my sayings." Could he [Joseph] have built up the Kingdom of God, without first being an Apostle? No, he never could. The keys of the eternal Priesthood, which is after the order of the Son of God, are comprehended by being an Apostle." pg 134
"All the Priesthood, all the keys, all the gifts, all the endowments, and everything preparatory to entering into the presence of the Father and of the Son, are in, composed of, ... the circumference of, the Apostleship." pg 134-135
-there's a lot of symbolism involved in the temple

No comments:

Post a Comment